Sunday, November 13, 2011

CHEF PATRICK OF THE HIGH SPOT

I am always doing reviews of wineries and wines. I have done many interviews with winemakers and cigar shop owners. I have even done a few blogs about wine, beer and even rum dinners, but, I seem to have left out one of the most important part of all dinner events. The Chef!! The chef and his or her staff are one of the fantastic reasons that these meals go so well. I recently had the pleasure of working with Chef Patrick Fanning of The High Spot in Cambridge, MD. We were doing some wine training with his staff and afterward we sat down to a couple of glasses of Belgium beers and I asked him a few questions.
When did you decide you wanted to be a Chef?
     As a child in the kitchen watching my mother cooking, I was thinking of ways to use the stuff she was leaving out.
What was your biggest mistake as new Chef?
     Not following my own instincts
What do you love most about your job?
     I love meeting and serving people. It's always fun to have a new challenge of new people.
What has been your hardest dish to cook?
     Chicken Breast, it may seem easy to cook, but to many people have become so picky about their chicken. Some people think it is to dry some say it is not cooked enough.
Where do you get your ideas for your dishes?
     Most of them just pop in my head. I get some ideas when I'm having a great Belgium beer and begin thinking what would be a good pairing with  
     this.
What is your best advice for a home chef?
     Cook what you like. Experiment with different flavors and styles of the same dish.
So if your passing through Cambridge, stop in to the High Spot and taste some of Chef Patrick's creations and see what pairings he usually has in store for certain dishes. I am amazed every time i go in there with selection of Belgium beers he has and the many different pairings you can have

No comments:

Post a Comment